Wednesday, December 30, 2009

:Refresh:

I have never been a huge fan of New Years. I mean I get why people celebrate and all but over the years I have come to feel that it just isn't as big of a deal as everyone says. Every year I make goals and then when they fail within the first week I get bummed out. So I told myself that this year I am not going to make any resolutions. I am holding firm on that but I did start thinking the other night. Instead of resolutions I came up with a word. A single word to motivate me throughout the year. It isn't about goals but motivation.

The word for 2010: refresh

Obviously this can refer to everything. Mind, body, spirit, home, life. Don't you love the feeling when you spend a Spring day cleaning and in the end everything smells so good and fresh? You just can't help but smile. I want that feeling all the time with everything that surrounds me.

So where is the best place to start? Well for me it was my laundry room. The last few days it has been such a mess that you couldn't open the door without a mountain of laundry falling on you. I couldn't even get to the dryer because I would slip on the piles of dirty clothes before I made it that far. So last night I decided to tackle it. And tackle I did. I started a load of clothes and then got started on my shelving that holds our towels, sheets and kids blankets. I purged a ton of our stuff. I got rid of old sheets we don't need or use. I even got rid of a few blankets. It is feeling good. I have several bags to donate and I am still going strong. Out with the old crap this year. I am completely de-cluttering our home. I am pretty good about getting rid of stuff but I am now doing a serious purge.

This is not a New Years resolution. This is a change I want to make and keep up with. Today I keep going into the laundry room even though there is only one more load needing to be done. It is quite refreshing to walk into a clean and organized laundry room especially when it is used as much as ours is.



5 comments:

Antonia said...

Great clean laundry room :)

I am laughing so hard about you saying you would slip on the clothes.. lmao!!

Good luck keeping track of the cleaning. I know you can do it!

Candy Hart said...

That is a totally awesome idea! I think I will use that to. Resolutions are so hard to keep up with and your right, I usually break mine within the first couple of weeks!

Ami said...

I like your word! Thanks for your comment. It made me feel good. happy new year to you, too!!!

Mere said...

Your laundry room looks awesome!! I LOVE the color!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Love, Mere

Maria said...

wow, that looks amazing! our laundry room is, well, let's just say, not exactly ready for the camera ;-) Your laundry room looks great - love the wall color in there too! LOVE your word for the year. My word is 'peace' :-)