Monday, August 14, 2006

Big Decisions

So today something completely unexpected happened. Dh got offered a job with a $1700 a month pay increase from what we make now. Downsides: no insurance offered, over an hour drive 1 way and it is a little dangerous. We don't know which way to go. Dh really wants to do it but he is leaving the final decision up to me. I am torn. Part of me is screaming to take it but the other part of me is saying NO because he has a good thing where he is at now. So if you happen to read this blog please give me some input. Would the $ be worth it with the extra gas $ and independent insurance for the kids? I have added it up and it still is worth it to me I think but I could be leaving something out in my totaling. We are going to talk about it some more when he gets home tonight. I just want to make the right decision. Any input is appreciated.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

after just coming from a job where i drove 65 miles one way every day for 7 years-- let me say- there's much more to that than you think!
first, in the little neon i drove, gas was about $400 a month. i filled up every other day, and it was over $30 each time. if i were driving my van, it was almost $60 to fill up- every other day.
2nd- you have to allow for traffic. i was due at work by 8, i left my house at 615. i left for home at 4, got home almost 6. that's a LOT of time, even if it doesn't sound like it. and it takes a LOT out of you.
3rd- insurance is HUGE. if you take away $400 for gas, how much is insurance for the family? $500? $600? more? that leaves you, what? an extra $700 maybe?
Then, the job could be dangerous. In what way? If he were injured, would he get workers comp or unemployment? Would the insurance be enough to cover it?
In my opinion, if he likes what he has now, I'd say stay where you're at.